September 30, 2010

The Night of Samhain

  With October fast approaching I make it a point to decorate for the holiday very early on. Samhain, or 'Halloween' to you more modern types; has always been my favorite time of year. Night claims day, bare branches clatter together, and the rustle of colorful leaves from a cool breeze put you right in the mood.
  So, here I am busily putting up my 'Halloween' tree - black spindly branches adorned with orange lights. The few ornaments we've collected over the years are hung and a string of purple bats finish off the decor. Lastly, a mix of ghosts, pumpkins, and black cats are placed around the living room. Now, it's beginning to feel like 'Halloween'.
  Our son, Jack has his costume already - picked out by mommy from Pottery Barn Kids. His "Jack" o'lantern getup is hanging quietly in his nursery closet waiting for the end of October to come. He's too young of course to truly enjoy the holiday, but rest assured daddy will break him in when he's old enough.
  This year we are in a new neighborhood. Our street is an activity of dog walkers, moms with strollers, joggers, and kids, lots of kids.
  "Do you think 5 bags will be enough Hon?", my wife asks.
  "I hope so.", I reply.
  What I really wanted to say was, "Get the crap candy. The word will get out about our subpar treats and the kids will avoid us like the plague. We'd be just a step higher than the old man handing out religious literature condemning the holiday, and the little old lady handing out pennys. Good plan, right sweety?"
   Honestly though if I had the money I'd dress up the inside and outside of the house for the kids. Tombstones on the front lawn, fog machine billowing smoke around the front steps. I could even convert our two car garage into a mini haunted house. Someday I'll do it, I swear...
   One place I can't wait to share with my son though is Salem. Salem, Mass. - The Mardi Gras of Halloween. If there is one place a fan of the holiday should visit it's got to be Salem. I took my wife a few years back and she loved it. It's the one town where grown ups can still dress up and not look out of place. C'mon, let's be real here. Even the adult Halloween parties are just a weak attempt to look cool. And usually, aside from the half-naked women in costume it's pretty sad.
  But in Salem, it's a whole different vibe. There you are given strange looks if your NOT dressed up. Yes, Salem is a place where young and old can still celebrate and not look like total dorks. I've gone five times now and each time except for the first I've dressed up. My costumes (never store bought) came from my imagination. What would I want to be for one night of the year if I could be anything? One of my favorites was going as Pat Garrett - Sheriff of Lincoln County (I'm a huge Billy the Kid fan).


  So as October comes knocking on my door. Stiff chill winds, crisp air, and the smell of crackling wood escaping from fireplaces all around, I smile and bask in the ambiance that makes the night of Halloween so special to me.